Thursday, July 7, 2011

pies and lasagna

Today's a double food post! Woopie! First order of business is my super protein/healthy key lime pie. My dad's been traveling a lot, so as a prize/surprise Irene and I made him key lime pie. He's coming home tomorrow, so hopefully he doesn't read this post before then. It's a test Dad!

I tried to follow this recipe but ended up just making most of it up. Here's my version:

Crust:
Ingredients:
-2 cups crushed graham crackers
-1/3 cup agave/maple syrup mix
-1/3 cup applesauce
-dash of cinnamon

Method:
-preheat oven to 375 F
-spray 9" pan with oil, or grease with vegan butter
-pulse graham crackers in your food processor until fine crumbs are formed
-add all the other ingredients and pulse until crust is mixed and sticky
-form a crust with the mix, pushing the graham bits into the pan. Watch out, this is really sticky. I ended up spreading it with a spatula
-cook for 7-12 minutes, or until golden brown and not sticky.
-let your crust cool until you make your pie

Filling:
Ingredients:
-1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
-1/2 cup white sugar
-2 14 (or less) oz. extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
-1 tbsp lime zest
-1 tbsp cornstarch
-1 tbsp agave/maple syrup
-1 tsp vanilla almond milk
-scant 1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
-press tofu until most of moisture is out
-place all ingredients in your blender and blend away!
-If your mix is to thin, add more almond milk. If it's to sour, add more sugar or agave/maple syrup
-pour filling into pie crust, and freeze until set.

Here is the finished pie. There will be more pictures when we dive into it with Dad :)

key lime pie!


After the pie, Irene and I made quinoa zucchini lasagna, based off Mama Pea's recipe, which can be found here. We altered it a bit, but I'm not going to post the recipe, since it is hers. I'll give you a photo essay instead.

For this you need sauce, which we wanted to add both peppers (shown below) and spinach to the marinara sauce



Here's the zucchini's layered to make the lasagna "noodles"


The quinoa to layer with! yum!


Here is one of my layers, I added tofu just because I had some lying around from my dad's key lime pie. Also there is daiya cheese spread on top.


Here is a quinoa layer!


This is the marinara sauce, with spinach peeking through.


zucchini layer


Finished lasagna, before being baked. Make sure you top it with sauce and some more cheese (unless you aren't using cheese). Completely vegan and completely delicious!


This is the side shot where you can see all the layers, with tofu, sauce, zucchini, and quinoa!


And... cooked! "cheese" melted nicely, zucchini soft!


 Delicious! Wait for tomorrows post for graham crackers with the kids, and the inside of my key lime pie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment