Tuesday, July 12, 2011

muffins and motorcycles

My dirty little secret as a vegan is my undying love for froot loops... Yes, the cereal. The deliciously yummy, colorful, and sugary cereal. It's my comfort food, my celebration food, and one of my favorites. I also loved muffins, so after reading a few random recipes on the kellogs website and stumbling upon this, I knew I had to make the muffins vegan and healthier.

Froot Loop muffins:



Ingredients:
-1/4 cup oat bran
-3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
-1/4 cup sugar*
-2 1/2 tsp baking powder
-5 tsp applesauce
-3/4 cup UNSWEETENED almond milk**
-2 cup froot loops, crushed

*next time, I think I'm going to omit sugar. The muffins were very sweet, for me at least. If you're used to a lot of sugar, keep it in there.

**If you use sweetened almond milk (or soy, or hemp, or rice) use less sugar.

Method:
-preheat oven to 375 F and set out muffin tin
-whisk all dry ingredients together in a big bowl
-add in wet ingredients, whisk together


-crush froot loops


-whisk in froot loops



-scoop mix into muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean

unbaked muffins
baked muffins


Froot loops taste so good, even in muffins. Enjoy with a tall class of almond or non-dairy milk!
This is for sure my dessert tonight, after I put the kids to sleep.

After working in Berkeley today, I went over to friend Marc's house, to ride his motorcycles. Yes, real motorcycles. I hope my parents bypass this one post, but if not; I'm still alive!! We went out riding with two of his other friends, although I was the only second passenger. We all went out on a windy road in our city, that goes on for miles. Let's just say Marc and I hit the triple digits on the straightaways. It was AWESOME! I always thought I wouldn't feel safe on a motorcycle, since you aren't strapped into anything, but you actually stay on pretty well. Woohoo! Crossed that one off my bucket list! I owe the boys cookies or something for taking me out on their bikes.

I'm off to babysit soon, then tomorrow I have another double day of babysitting and Berkeley. At least I have some delicious muffins to give me energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment