Sunday, April 1, 2012

Vegan at NYU 103

Not much has changed here in NYC. It's raining, its cloudy, and I've been riding my bike. Something different is I'm trying to use up my meal swipes in the dining hall, so that I won't have to many left over come the end of the year. This post is about two different "how to" meals at NYU. First, Hayden Dining Hall.


My tip is simple.. Bring a backpack when you go to eat, and stuff it full of fruit. If you can't count, I snuck out two pears, five apples, a grapefruit, and a banana. I then proceeded to make applesauce with two apples and 1 pear. Delicious.

The second meal is really from any dining hall, although I got my chickpeas at Third North. I then made chickpea poppers in my oven. Super simple, super nutritious, and not that hard to make.

Ingredients:
-chickpeas
-cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice
-oil or oil spray

Method:
-preheat oven to 400 degrees
-place chickpeas in a bowl, spray with oil (I use olive oil) and sprinkle with spice (you can also choose to go spicy with paprika or chili powder)


-place evenly on baking sheet, and bake for 25-40 minutes (depending on how many peas you have), turning every 10 minutes


-let cool almost completely before eating!


Very simple, very easy, and very delicious. I have a full week ahead of me, and I'm planning on browsing the MET, biking a ton in the sunshine, and hopefully getting out to the Gunks this weekend to enjoy nature.

Another thing to share with anyone who is in NYC, or is planning on visiting NYC. They MUST visit the best food truck ever, called The Cinnamon Snail. Here's a picture of their award winning creme brule vanilla donut:


well, half of one at least. This donut is delicious. It's crispy, sweet, glazed to perfection, and just amazing. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever eat one again since all the gluten gave me a horrible stomach and proved again that I shouldn't eat gluten. The Cinnamon Snail does sell gluten free things, so next time I'll get some of that for sure. :)


To prove that, last weekend I made vegan gluten free french toast.. which sounds very unbelievable but was delicious. I picked up a loaf of vegan gluten free bread at the farmers market, and have been hooked on it every since.


Happy eating :)

1 comment:

  1. Look at you all sneakin' our fruit and chickpeas!! Good plan! I wish I'd have thought to sneak out food when I was in college and eating in the dining hall.

    ReplyDelete