Thursday, March 22, 2012

50 cent applesauce

I've been sick for the past few days, but before I came down with some sort of cold flu thing I went to the farmers market in Union Square. There I picked up a big ol' bag of bruised and unwanted apples and pears. I've done this before, since you get about 10-20 apples and pears for $2. Yes, some you have to cut off bits and pieces, but overall they are very good and totally edible. I haven't been eating much since I've been sick, and don't want my fruit to rot or go to waste. I decided to try my hand at applesauce..


Although it doesn't look highly appetizing, trust me on the fact that it's pear applesauce!

Ingredients:
-2 pears
-2 apples
-enough water to fill the pot until level with the fruit
-nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or any sort of spice
-sugar if you want it (I left it out)

Method:
-cut fruit into small pieces


-throw the fruit into a pot with water and boil the water


-add spices and keep boiling. Add more water if needed


-Simmer and cover. When it looks like this, it should be soft:



-take off the stove and let cool for 20-30 minutes
-blend until nice and blended


-store in the refrigerator! That's it :) pretty simple! I'm happy with this, and the whole batch of applesauce cost less than 50 cents for the fruit. Of course you can add more fruit, sub all pears or all apples, but I wanted to go with a mix. Very delicious and I'm happy with it! I'm off to go enjoy the 75 degree weather we are having :)

No comments:

Post a Comment