Sunday, November 20, 2011

pumpkin pie and jobs

For about half a week of my life, I worked for three gyms at one time (five, if you count my temporary hold in California at the two Touchstone gyms, until I work again this summer). The gyms are two NYU rock walls, and I recently got a job at Brooklyn Boulders, the biggest climbing gym in NYC. It's pretty exciting, since now I can be part of a climbing community, but also make money. My first day of work was yesterday, and although hectic, I feel right at home. Brooklyn Boulders is not Ironworks, but it's a pretty solid gym. Thats whats up in my life, I'll be spending more and more time in Brooklyn, and less time in my dorm and in Manhattan. That is totally fine with me, climbers are the best people.

I am going back to California in two days, but it felt appropriate to make some thanksgiving type vegan item; pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is my favorite thing to eat at this time of the year, so it felt just right. This is pretty simple, and not very time consuming at all. I used the recipe for the pie part from; the vegan man cave, and made the crust up via memory and imagination.

The crust itself was really simple, and tastes pretty good. Also, we don't own pie pans in our dorm, so I used a square brownie pan...



Ingredients:
-2 cups crushed cinnamon cookies (i.e. trader joe's cinnamon schoolbook cookies)
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce

Method:
-preheat the oven to 350 F and grease pie pan
-place cookies in blender and blend until crumbs
-mix in spices
-mix/mash in applesauce
-press crust into pan
-bake for 8 minutes, and let cool completely before use

pie crust before baking:



For the pie, I used exactly what was said in Brian's blog, except that I added 3/4 tsp cornstarch, because my pie seemed very runny.

Since my pie is in a square pan, I cut it up as soon as it cooled for an hour, since I didn't like the square pie look.


I think next time I would cook the crust a bit more- but I'm off to eat some pumpkin pie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment