Monday, October 3, 2011

salad and gluten free

For the past week we've had a friend stay here in our dorm, to see the city, and hang out with my roommate. It was an awesome week- and I enjoyed having him. One interesting thing is that he has celiac disease- which is being allergic to gluten products.
At the start of the week I had an appointment with a stomach doctor, since I've had stomach problems for a few years. They said I might possibly have celiac disease as well- so living with someone who has celiac was very informational. Today I went back to the doctor and found out I'm 95% negative for celiac disease, so I'm really happy. However, the week of almost gluten-free eating really felt good- so I may just continue it- especially since there's a 5% chance that I have celiac.

My roommate and I (and her friend) also enjoyed tons of sweets this weekend- to show him the true NYC. For the next two weeks, we are going on a sort of detox. Not completely raw, but something of the sort. Here's our first meal:

Quinoa Kale Salad:



Ingredients:
-1 cup red quinoa
-2 cups vegetable broth
-any amount of kale
-red bell pepper
-beets
-garlic
-onion
-shallots
-guacamole
-salsa
-balsamic vinegar

Method:
-cook quinoa as directed
-mix guacamole, salsa, and balsamic in big bowl- to your preference of taste
-add kale and mix thoroughly
-let kale sit for five minutes
-add all the other vegetables and stir



-add quinoa when it cools


This salad was more delicious than I can explain.. My roommate loves it too! We're off to a great start of our detox.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment