Monday, August 22, 2011

banana bread and goodbyes

It's no secret around here that I'm leaving for college in.... 5... days... FIVE! Seeing as I've never moved out of this house, it's a pretty big deal to me. I could be incredibly more excited, but it's coming up whether I want to leave the Bay or not. I've had to say goodbye to many co-workers, and it just doesn't get any easier. Friday is my last bay-area climb, and will for sure come with many a tears. I've grown to love the Touchstone gyms that I've worked at, not only just for it's amazing atmosphere, but for the many bonds and friendships I've made in the past 9 months. Really a beautiful thing to leave- but we all have to leave at some point.

To cheer myself up, and keep myself busy I made some banana bread from scratch. I was planning on making zucchini bread, but those went bad in the past few days. I made this recipe up from scratch, so hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
-3 ripe bananas
-1/2 cup applesauce
-1/4 cup maple syrup
-1/4 tsp cloves
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
-1/2 cup oat bran
-1/2 cup chocolate chips

Method:
-preheat oven to 350 F
-spray loaf pan and set aside
-mash bananas and place in big bowl
-mix in applesauce, maple syrup, and all spices
-mix in baking powder, flour, and oat bran
-fold in chocolate chips
-pour into loaf pan
-bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top

This bread was pretty good, just a little to sweet for me. I think I'd reduce the amount of maple syrup, depending how ripe your bananas are. Also feel free to add walnuts!

I don't think I'll be baking anything else, since I ran out of whole wheat pastry flour today.. That's ok since I'll be so busy packing, saying goodbye, and crying that I won't have time to bake anything else.  Tomorrow I'm going to San Francisco to say goodbye to my co-camp director. She's going to USF as a freshman, so we're the same age. I think we're getting delicious vegan food- so I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment