Monday, August 13, 2012

Starting an annual tradition.. in Yosemite Valley

It seems to be a trend these past two years, I go to Yosemite Valley the weekend before I leave for school. Last summer, it was before I left for New York City, however this summer I went this past weekend before I leave for Boulder on Friday. I like this tradition, and might have to keep it up, seeing that I love Yosemite.

Since I knew that I'd be cleared to "lift" over two pounds with my left arm (because of my shoulder) last Thursday, I knew that this weekend would be a perfect time to camp out in the Valley. I went with two co-workers, a chemistry friend, and two of her friends. Although I am not a group type of person, it was pretty fun most of the time. One of the best parts of the weekend was my solo hike, but of course I liked the interaction and it was interesting to see how three of them reacted to being in the valley for the first time.



We got to Yosemite on Friday night, camped out a rad camping site, then woke up Saturday to get to the Valley. Since I still can't climb, I knew I'd be hiking. Charlotte and our other co-worker John joined me.


El Cap

Charlotte and her adorable dog Selma



Later on, we went over to Tenaya Lake in Tuolumne Meadows. I didn't get any pictures, but it was pretty beautiful..

The next day, on Sunday, we packed up camp and headed back towards the valley. The rest of the group went to boulder, but I wanted to go on a long hike. I picked Upper Yosemite Falls, and hit the trail.


















It was a pretty strenuous hike- 60 switchbacks the first mile alone. Naturally it was all uphill, but regardless it was pretty awesome. Since it was so hot in the valley I was a sweaty mess, but it was so worth the views and the awesome trail.

After my couple hour hike I met back up with the group, and we headed towards Glacier Point to see the valley for the last time before heading home.



After the long drive home, I made myself some gluten free dinner, took a shower, and slept in my bed for 10 hours straight.

brown rice pasta with tomato sauce and a gluten free breadstick
The rest of this week will be spent packing and final shoulder appointments before I move to Boulder on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment