Tuesday, June 26, 2012

vegan gluten free mac and cheese... with a twist!

I used to love mac and cheese, the gooey cheese, the soft pasta... However, that's typically NOT edible for me... To make a vegan, gluten free mac and cheese that's somewhat healthy has been on my mind for awhile.

Well, today, I tackled that problem with three main ingredients.

1. quinoa pasta
2. polenta
3. nutritional yeast.

See where this is going?


Ingredients:
1. 1/4 box Quinoa Pasta
2. 1/4 cup Polenta (corn grits)
3. 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
4. salt
5. pepper
6. optional seasoning

Method:
-boil the pasta (or any other pasta) as directions, but slightly slightly undercooked (should still be edible at this point if needed, but could be a bit more cooked)
-put the pasta to the side
-boil 1 cup of water, add the 1/4 cup of Polenta
-lower heat and stir occasionally for 4 minutes
-at this point the Polenta should be mostly together, but not quite.
-add the 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, stir for 45 seconds-1 minute
-add seasoning, salt, pepper, and cooked pasta
-stir everything together in the pot for about 1 minute
-remove from stove, spoon into a bowl and let sit for 2-4 minutes*
-enjoy!

*You could also probably bake this, although I didn't since I was hungry!

I cooked 1/4 of the box

cooked quinoa pasta

beginning of polenta cooking

nutritional yeast added!

pasta into the polenta mix

gooey and delicious!
Yum! I think I may try baking this next time.. and if I have a friend I'll just double the recipe!!
I'm off to study more chemistry.. It's been a busy week and a half since school started

1 comment:

  1. Polenta as a base, what a great idea!!! Definitly going to try this. Ancient harvest is our favorite pasta too.

    ReplyDelete